Scorbit was looking to modernize the way pinball is played, scored, and tracked.
Their platform consists of three parts:
- Smartphone app
- Scorbitron hardware that is hooked up to pinball machines
- Billing platform that controls access to the other two.
We were tasked with building the billing platform with WooCommerce Subscriptions.
This project differed from a basic WooCommerce Subscriptions setup in a few key ways:
- Rather than individual subscriptions with a fixed price, Scorbit wanted customers to be able to buy and manage licenses, with bulk discounts.
- Customers could fall into categories: collectors or operators, or both at once. These categories have unique features and pricing.
- Customers would have the choice of being billed monthly or annually for their subcriptions, with the opportunity of switching between the two options.
- New licenses needed to be able to be added at any time.
- The Scorbit app needed to be able to communicate with the WooCommerce billing platform at any time in order to check how many licenses and of what type(s) the customer has.
Here’s how we developed the high-scoring solution to these goals using WooCommerce Subscriptions:
FirstTracks accomplished this goal by building a customized front-end to WooCommerce Subscriptions that updated the amount charged on the fly. In addition, we created custom API endpoints for the Scorbit app to check the licensing status at any time. We also built a custom purchase flow that allowed customers to enter the name of their pinball machine in order to access the right Scorbitron device. Device costs also offered bulk discounts, with independent pricing for operators and collectors. All of this is controlled through custom-coded price and order handling with the WooCommerce API.
What would you like to build with WooCommerce?
The development team here at FirstTracks Marketing is always looking for new ways to improve upon and push the limits with WooCommerce. Scorbit is a wonderful example of how we took a very unique product idea and made it work with WooCommerce in a way that is going to be highly scalable and simple to support for the long haul. If you have something you are looking to try and build with WordPress and WooCommerce fill out our short form or give us a call at 603-924-1978. We can’t wait to meet you and hear more about your project!