Quick eCommerce 2018 Facts & Trends
- Thanksgiving Day was the fastest growing online sale day of the year with a 28% growth.
- Largest Black Friday online sales in retail history with $6.22 billion in sales (23% up since last year).
- Biggest issue stores faced was out of stock items, which made up 2% of all products losing $140 million in potential sales.
- $2.1 billion (33.5% of shoppers) was spent on smartphones (up since Cyber Monday 2017 with $1.4 billion).
- Cyber Monday crushed all records! The BIGGEST shopping day in ALL of U.S. retail history. Some $7.9 BILLION was spent online. That’s up 20% from last year.
- Biggest issue was out of stock items – costing retailers $177 million in potential sales.
- Shoppers spent a combined total of 11,000 years shopping on Cyber Monday.
Source: “Cyber Monday Shopping Shatters Sales Records,” Marketing Land.com, November 27, 2018.
FirstTracks Client Results for Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2018
- 31% growth in sales for Black Friday through Cyber Monday vs. 2017
- 48% growth in mobile revenue during this time period vs. 2017
Annalee Dolls has been on a growth spurt for most of 2018. That trend continued into the biggest shopping time of the year. Black Friday through Cyber Monday proved to be record breaking for Annalee in many ways. Mobile revenue for the site increased from 18% in 2017 to 27% in 2018. Earlier in the year the development team at FirstTracks Marketing updated the layout and improved the user experience on the site. This gave Annalee a strong foundation for the busiest time of the year.
With mobile shopping continuing to grow at an extremely fast pace, it’s both important and necessary for companies to improve the mobile user experience for their websites. Annalee has big plans for 2019 that will make the mobile experience even greater. We’re already predicting even more growth during Black Friday and Cyber Monday in 2019.
- 14% growth in sales for Black Friday thru Cyber Monday vs. 2017
- 48% Growth in mobile revenue during this time period vs. 2017
Hyo Silver has always had a strong mobile shopper presence. A growth of 14% might seem small but this company has been ahead of the online shopping trend for awhile now. In 2017 mobile revenue made up 59% of all sales. In 2018 Black Friday-Cyber Monday mobile shopping jumped to a strong 66%.
It is important to note that not many things about Hyo Silver’s promotional offers changed this year compared to last year. Holiday promotions were launched with a slight difference but overall it was the same messaging. This includes price markdowns, free shipping on all orders, and free gifts with purchases.
Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2018 Key Takeaways
With mobile seeing a huge jump in revenue across the board it’s safe to say that this trend will only continue to grow in importance. Black Friday is becoming a strong eCommerce day as we continue to see issues among brick and mortar chains. But Cyber Monday continues to take the crown as the LARGEST eCommerce sales day in history.
When you start planning your 2019 Black Friday and Cyber Monday marketing strategies, make sure you’re focusing on more than just the promotion. While the promotion is the main character, your need a strong supporting cast for all the other things that can make or break your sales. Keep your inventory fully stocked so you don’t lose out on sales. Create promotions that will intrigue your customers. You don’t always need to offer 40% off. Sometimes free shipping or a free gift is enough incentive. And don’t forget your website. Speed, function, and user experience are all important in online sales. If your company’s website needs work, make sure to get a head start on that by beginning in Q1.The earlier the better.
Need help with your eCommerce website?
Not sure your marketing strategy was the strongest it could have been? FirstTracks Marketing can help. Give us a call today at 603-924-1978, fire up a chat with us or fill out this short contact form to learn more.